During the off-season, it is time to repair tent and equipment. Most often, our clients are dealing with the problem of stopping up tents, tent bottoms and replacing the frame sections. Since I often have to deal with this kind of damage, I have prepared a quick guide how to repair the most common problems so that anyone who wants to fix his equipment at home can do it easily.
Stopping Up Cracks In Tent
Sharp stones, broken glass, dry hard grass, fire embers can damage your tent, and you can simply tape it either when hiking or after returning home. Such openings are quite easy to fix. If you know a few simple rules, you can handle it. There are enough basic repairs in the trip to allow the patches to “live out” before the end of the trip, and then major repairs can be performed at home, ensuring the durability of the patches.
All you will need for this:
- Medical alcohol;
- Repair set of patches or adhesive tape;
How To Stop Up A Hole In Your Tent?
1. It is necessary to remove traces of repair that you have been doing on the trip from the damaged element, or simply clean with a rag impregnated with medical alcohol from glues, adhesive tape, or patches, thereby degreasing the surface.
2. Two round patches should be cut.
Why exactly two and why round? Let us start with the first one. Two patches are needed to tape on the inside and outside of the tent or nylon tent floor, because when there is only one patch on the outside, condensation and moisture will fall into the damaged area. In addition, later the patch will recede, and the two patches, respectively, will completely isolate the damaged part. This form of patch is responsible for preventing the patch from falling behind or breaking away during operation. A patch that has corners is more vulnerable to various tearing.
3. It is necessary to straighten the damaged area and glue the patch with a hairdryer, because by heating the patch with a hairdryer, we heat the glue and get a soldering effect. Firstly, it is necessary to glue inside, having previously straightened it, and then the outside and to apply a patch.
Various patches can be used for such work. From those which are left in the tent repair kit, or if you do not have one, you can buy tenacious tape McNett Gear Aid Tenacious Repair Tape Roll.
It can be of two types: transparent and fabric-based. Transparent is best used for taping tents. It is better to tape the bottom of the tent made of nylon with a fabric-based tape.
You can also use a patch set Gear Aid Tenacious Tape Mini Patches for punctures and burnouts of small size.
This patch set is convenient in that you will have not just a regular banal patch, but a patch in the form of animals or Christmas trees and puncture will no longer be a puncture, but your personal customization. Also with this set we give a patch on the inside, since two patches are used in any case!!!
How To Stop Up A Tent, If Cutting Is Big?
This kind of damage is usually caused by careless handling of the tent or other reasons: a branch that fell on the tent, or damage to the section of the frame that cut through the tent.
The step-by-step guide is the same as the one mentioned above. For this purpose we use the Gear Aid Tenacious Tape Fabric. Why exactly this tape? It is quite simple, it is 50 cm long, which is enough for one large slot or several smaller ones and 7.6 cm wide, then cutting it into two pieces it is possible to tape both sides, that is the internal and external.
The result looks like this:
How To Glue A Silicone Tent?
To repair silicone tents we use the glue McNett Silnet 28 мл.
To glue such tent we need:
1.Cut 2 round patches;
2. Apply the glue to the tent and patch, and give it a little time to dry, then glue the patch with the tent and put it under the weight for better gluing.
How To Glue A Tent With Polyurethane Impregnation?
For this type of cover, you should use patches of the same material as your tent, if you do not have such patches in your tent kit, you can buy them at specialized tourist equipment stores and the next thing we need glue: McNett Seam Grip.
For repair you will need:
- glue McNett Seam Grip;
- Medical alcohol;
The important thing is that we put such a patch on the inside. So let’s start:
1. Expand the damaged part of your tent with the inside facing up;
2. Determine the size of the patch, cut it and round the corners and better not to forget about the larger patch size of 1.5-2 cm to cover the plane and its durability;
3. Clean the damaged part with all kinds of dirt by degreasing the surface for applying glue;
4. Apply glue on the damaged part and on the patch itself, allowing the glue to dry a little bit of time so that the glue does not flow out from under it, and the patch itself did not go to the surface;
5. Having glued both parts, it is necessary to put the flyweight on a patch, some say that it will be enough 5 hours, but I prefer leaving it for 1-2 days, because from my own experience, such glues like to stay longer under the weight during gluing.
How To Repair Polyester Bottom In A Tent?
The thick polyester bottom is very strong because it is multilayered and wicker, but there are cases when it is also damaged, but at home it is impossible to repair it and in some places not every workshop wants to undertake the repair of such material, because it is necessary to sew a patch of the same material, which is quite challenging.
How To Repair Broken Poles?
One of the most common troubles you may encounter while traveling is breaking tent poles. That’s true. They break down despite their strength and material. When hiking, all is possible to be done is to insert a sleeve (tube) that is bundled with a tent or with the help of an adhesive patch from the first aid kit to make a tire for the broken element of the frame. After returning home, buy a spare part.
For this purpose you need:
1. To determine the diameter and length of the damaged section and the material;
2. Having bought the part we need, we disassemble the pole with the damaged element and measure the length we want, often the sections are 50 cm long, marking the desired length we take a hacksaw and cut;
3. Cutting off, trim the cutting area with an abrasive cloth (emery). This is to ensure that there are no bullies on the sections that provoke future gum cuts;
4. We collect everything in reverse order.
These are simple techniques that can be used while repairing your tent at home without seeking help from a customer service.
Tent And Pole Materials
Polyester. This material has proven to be resistant to UV radiation and does not fade. Since the fabric does not absorb water, there are no stretching in conditions of high humidity.
Silicon Nylon is extremely durable and lightweight tent material. Resistant to ultraviolet light, however it can stretch over time.
Materials used when manufacturing tent poles:
Fiberglass is a fiberglass and epoxy based material. Heavy and less durable (up to 5 years), but also has a number of advantages: no residual deformation, high strength and elasticity, low price.
Aluminum alloys are the most advanced materials for poles. They are durable, not prone to deformation at low temperatures. Depending on the type of alloy they can vary greatly in technical characteristics and, accordingly, in price. The most common aluminum alloy with the addition of zinc and magnesium is Alu 7001 T6. T6 stands for hardening and artificial aging, which greatly improves the properties of the metal.